Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Down to the Count


The count down has begun. In just over a month, I join the international crew of Olydia II, a 46 foot monohull sailboat, as she casts off from Stenungstorg, Sweden for her circumnavigation voyage. As a landlubber and city girl, I’ve got to ask myself a few questions. Will this adventure be a life changing experience? Absolutely. Can you teach an old (salty) dog new tricks? I will soon find out since I have no real sailing experience. Do I have the social skills and patience to live harmoniously with 7 other crew members in small confined spaces? I think so, friends reassure me I do. Will I get homesick? Internet access, my new iPhone and Skype will ease the transition. Will I get seasick? Probably not but I’m packing Scopalamine patches as a precaution. Am I crazy? Maybe, I hope so, and time will tell.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Susan: I am so excited for you to follow your dream. Bob and I will be stay with you on your journey through your blog. You will be fine with everyone and we hope you get a crew that will be as great as our group in Morocco, if that is even possible.

    Make sure you pack the sea sickness bracelets from Walgreen's or Walmart and Dramamine. I had a tough time with the Scopalamine patches. Made me a bit nuts.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read your stories and see your photos from around the world! You must be so excited! We Skype, too! It is such a great way to keep in touch and I am sure it will ease the homesick feeling...Let the countdown begin!!!!!! Amy & Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you're crazy. Crazy is the new sane. Sane is the new boring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you got your blog up and running because that means it's closer to the "sail by date"!!!! Can't wait to hear your stories, adventures and, even more, see your photos! Yeah!!! I like what John said above about crazy being the new sane.....you just have to do what floats your boat, ha! Have a wonderful, fabulous time and I'll be keeping an eye out on your travels,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have an epi-pen? You need to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I admire your enthusiasm for all this wonderful world has to offer! I'm looking forward to following your adventure by reading your posts and seeing your marvelous photos. Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I wish you all the best on your epic journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan,

    I am excited for you because you are embarking on an exciting adventure. You know how to handle this and what you do not know, you will do anyway.

    Sail on,

    Valery

    ReplyDelete