Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Best of Ireland - It’s People



While sailing from Dublin to Waterford, gale force wind gusts of 40 knots, monstrous swells, and freezing salt water showers over the cockpit of our sailboat forced the Olydia II to abort the planned route. We seek shelter from the storm in the unscheduled stop of Arklow, Ireland.
As the boat pulled into the marina in Arklow, we were greeted with open arms and the warm smile of an angel.  Lorcan O’Toole, director of OTS Shipping Services, not only welcomed our weary crew to the marina but offered his personal taxi service to and from the local laundry facility in town.
On the ride back to the boat from town, Lorcan presented me with a rugby shirt bearing the name of his yacht, X-Posure.  Being a photographer, his shirt has special meaning for me.  I will wear the X-Posure shirt proudly and think of him when I do.  Meeting and connecting with the locals is the creme del la creme of the travel experience.  Thank you my Irish friend.  It is now my turn to pay a little kindness forward.  
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment