Tuesday, September 7, 2010

From Motor way to Waterway - You’ve Come A long Way Nessie

Entering Loch Ness from the Caledonian Canal

Twenty five years ago I traveled by land with my biological family to Loch Ness, Scotland in search of the elusive Nessie, a sea serpent reported to swim in this famed Scottish Lake (aka Loch).  The only sighting of Nessie a quarter of a century ago were cheesy caricatures of the aquatic monster on the signage of the tourist traps that lined Fort Augustus, located in the South Western corner of Loch Ness.  










Today, my impressions of Loch Ness are a 180 degree departure from the memories of yesteryear.  Unlike my previous visit, this trip to Loch Ness was by sea and not by land.  With sun shining brightly, clear crisp cool air, and the companionship of my new maritime family, Nessie was once again not at home to welcome visitors.  Also gone, were the silly billboards of Nessie that used to litter the quaint town of Ft. Augustus.
Our day cruising Loch Ness in the Scottish Highlands could best be described as tranquil and picturesque, a delightful contrast to the North Sea passage we endured last week.  The Loch’s calm waters were a chilly 15 degrees Celsius (59 degrees Fahrenheit) but that didn’t stop my shipmates from taking a teeth chattering dip in Nessie’s pool.  I was happy to stay on board to snap photos since frigid water and I don’t mix well.  All and all, cruising Loch Ness was a wonderful experience. I’m thankful I got the chance to smell the roses and my old memories of a tacky Loch Ness have been replaced with the new and updated version; a snippet of heaven on Earth.

1 comment:

  1. That is a very interesting post. I was there with my younger son a couple of years ago and had the clear thought that, "Now in Florida, we would have have totally plastered this with billboards." I'm laughing now to find that the Scots are subject to the same crass impulses that we are, but at least they have moved on to some maturity. LOL!

    ReplyDelete