Wednesday, September 29, 2010

R.I.P. Ms Olydia

In the early morning hours of September 25, 2010, Olydia II ran aground on an uncharted sandbar off the coast of South West France near the Bordeaux wine region.  Despite the best efforts of Captain and crew, Mother Nature’s fury proved a force not to be reckoned with.  Ultimately, strong tidal currents and swelling seas won the battle by cracking Olydia’s hull and flooding her cabin.  Fortunately, all onboard were eventually rescued by helicopter and evacuated to a nearby hospital.
Our unplanned and abrupt exodus from our home away from home required us not only to abandon ship but also leave all of our earthly possessions behind.  Heaps of electronic gadgets and gizmos and personal property were given up as ransom to the sea to insure a safer passage into the hovering helicopter.
There were moments on deck when my knee became entangled in the life lines, and while in the open water as I bobbed in and out of the surf gulping salt water, that I wondered if this was the end.  When the firm grip of the rescue diver’s hand pulled me from submersion, I knew that everything would be OK.  Rendered utterly useless from fear, hypothermia, and exhaustion, I went limp during the accent into the rescue helicopter, unable to assist in my own rescue.
One by one, the crew and then the Captain, were hoisted into the helicopter above from the unforgiving ocean below.  I was filled with a sense of relief and joy as each member of my maritime family was pulled into the helicopter.  As we huddled in the air over our sinking yacht, in silence we held hands, we hugged, we kissed, we cried and we shivered from our cold drenched clothes.
The following day when emotions were more subdued, the crew began to take inventory of the magnitude of all that was lost to the sea.  Despite being in various stages of the grieving process, the Captain and crew were grateful to be together and happy to be alive.  During an impromptu group therapy session that day, I was reminded of a quote of Queen Elizabeth I, “All my possessions for another moment in time.”  It seemed fitting to share this with my despondent Olydia family.  Everyone agreed with the Queen, myself included.
As we each work through the tragic loss of Olydia II and the disruption to our lifes and dreams, I want to personally thank the crew for accepting me, teaching me, and supporting me.  Thank you Cindy (aka Shawna & Cinderella) for stepping up to the plate in our moment of need.  Thank you Gunilla for your friendship and being the peace keeper.  Thank you Ros for being a great roomie.  Thank you Goran for your generosity and parting of knowledge.  Thank you Barbro for your warm smile and calm presence. My heavy heart goes out to each of you.  It is said that what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.  I am confident that calmer seas, smoother sails, and more favorable winds are in our futures.
Sincerely... Susan
Deckhand
Grasshopper
Photographer
Cook
Dishwasher
Night Watch Woman
Laundry Maid
Roommate (Roomie in Aussie Speak)

4 comments:

  1. Susan, Wow, I'm shocked and saddened to hear about this, but so glad that you and the rest of the crew are safe and sound. Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan.....ohhhh, this is so sad, and I'm so very sorry. But you and your shipmates are alive, thankfully. What you lost can be replaced. What was NOT lost is much more important! And the friendships and experiences you lived from your month at sea will be with you forever. I'm looking forward to catching up with you in person in Virginia, when you are up to it. xxoo, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    I am so sorry but so HAPPY to hear you are alive! What an experience! Not exactly what you were hoping for, I know, but an experience nonetheless to share with us landlubbers. Can't wait to see you back in Richmond!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, thank goodness you and everyone are okay. I was breathless just reading your entry; I cannot imagine what it must have been like to go through it. Have a safe trip home--we will welcome you earlier than expected, but so glad to know you are fine.

    ReplyDelete