Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sept 1 Sjoklar - Swedish Speak for Ready for Sea

Cinderalla Collapses on the Dock after a long day at Sea

Boats are a lot of work.  Prior to this journey, I never gave much thought about all that is involved in getting a boat from point A to point B.  All of my prior experience at sea has been as a guest on very large cruise ships down to the smallest vessel, a single masted 60 foot chartered yacht in the British Virgin Islands.  My biggest concern back then was did I bring the right number of cocktail dresses for the formal nights on board, deciding which shore excursion to take, and whether to have the beef or fish entree at dinner.  
I’ve been told that our home away from home, the Olydia II, a 46 foot Hallberg-Rassy is the Rolls Royce of sailing yachts.  I’m still looking for the butler, he must have abandoned ship before I boarded.  
The simple task of casting off from the marina takes a village.  Fresh water tanks need to be filled, all projectile objects in the cabin stowed in their appropriate nook or cranny, hatches closed tight, top deck pieces and parts secured, fuel tanks topped off, back up batteries checked and rechecked, custom officers satisfied we are who we say we are, food and drink inventoried and replenished, weather forecasts consulted, and the navigational course plotted.
All this process can be exhausting.  I’m getting hungry.  I wonder what’s for dinner.  Please let it be someone else’s turn to cook.

1 comment:

  1. You finally started the adventure! The fun will truly begin when you are out on the high seas. I love the photo! At least you got a little rest before you set sail. And just think; I'm sure the butler will be at the next port! lol Have a safe journey and keep us posted when you are able. Take care! Wendy W. Herrell

    ReplyDelete