Sunday, September 19, 2010

Shellfish Merchants of Newlyn, England

A hop, skip, and jump from the notable Lands End in Cornwall, England lies the small commercial fishing town of Newlyn.  On the advice of a local fisherman, I set out on foot with camera in hand to pay a visit to W. Harvey & Sons Shellfish Merchants.


Rob Jackson, a warehouse worker, took the time out of his busy work day to show me around the waterfront building which houses numerous salt water holding tanks for various species of crabs, lobster, and crawfish.  This family owned business has been in operation for over 50 years and ships live shellfish daily via ferries and air to markets all over Europe.  Rob’s friendly demeanor and dedication to his job made my private tour of the crabbing industry something I will not forget.


1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Susan. I especially like the portrait of the lobster man. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete